About Svend Hammershøi
Svend Hammershøi (10 August 1873 – 27 February 1948) was a Danish painter and ceramist. He is remembered principally for the classical pottery designs he contributed to the Kongelige Porcelainsfabrik and to Kählers Keramiske Værksted (Kähler's Ceramics Factory) in Næstved.
Born in the Frederiksberg district of Copenhagen, he was the younger brother of the painter Vilhelm Hammershøi who was a strong source of influence and inspiration. After a preparatory period at the Copenhagen Technical School, he studied painting at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts from 1890 to 1892, after which he spent a further five years at Kristian Zahrtmann's school, Kunstnernes Frie Studieskoler.
From the age of 14, Hammershøi had been interested in ceramics. In 1888, he began to decorate porcelain at Kjøbenhavns Lervarefabrik in Valby where from 1890 to 1905 he worked together with Thorvald Bindesbøll. He also spent two lengthy periods with Herman A. Kähler in Næstved, in addition to assignments at the Kongelige Porcelainsfabrik and Bing & Grøndahl. When Bindesbøll died in 1908, Hammershøi lost interest in ceramics and turned back to painting, concentrating on landscapes, initially sketches and watercolours, later oils. On a study grant, he moved to England in 1910 where he spent the next four years creating architectural paintings of Oxford and Wells.