Loetz was the premier Bohemian glass works during the turn of the 20th Centruy. It was located in Klostermühle, near Rejštejn in the Sušice district in South-West Bohemia, which belonged to the Austro-Hungarian empire until 1918. The glass factory, originally founded in 1836 by Johann Baptist Eisner, was taken over by Susanna Loetz, widow of Glass entrepreneur Johann Loetz in 1852. She renamed the company "Glasfabrik Johann Loetz Witwe", a name that was retained until all activities were stopped in 1947. In 1879 it passed to Max Ritter von Spaun. Under his guidance, together with director Eduard Prochaska, the glassworks flourished as never before and enjoyed its most successful period. By 1889, Loetz was one of the region’s leading glassmakers. That year, the company took first prize at the Paris Exhibition for its classic vase forms, some of which were hand-worked and deformed into swirling, organic-looking shapes like seashells, flowers, and tree trunks. Decorative vases, cups, and pitchers were other popular forms in the Loetz lexicon, and many of the pieces practically glowed thanks to their iridescent sheen from the firing and reduction techniques that were popular at the time.
For its contributions to the field, Loetz was awarded the grand prize at the Paris World Exhibition in 1900.