The factory was established in 1843 by potter Rasmus Peter Ipsen (1815-60) from Bornholm.
When he was 13 years old, Peter Ipsen was sent into service at a brickyard, where he, in his own words, was carrying 4000 bricks each and every day, which marked him for the rest of his life. Later he was apprenticed with a joiner where he worked from 5am to 10pm which was so bad for his constitution that he had to quit.
A school friend found a job for him as a trainee at The Royal Copenhagen. He soon became a masterly thrower with a great sense for the design and colors, and in 1843 (28 years old) he had his own pottery and married Lovise Christine Ipsen (1822-1905).
Hanging flowerpots in terracotta was the livelihood of the factory, but also pots, amphorae vases painted in oil colors and figurines, often inspired by the Danish sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen (1770-1844).
Peter established contact with that times Danish artists - among these many sculptors, and he succeeded so much that he in 1847 could afford to build a new factory in Utterslev outside Copenhagen.
eter Ipsen died in an early life, only 45 years old (1860), his widow Lovise Ipsen continued his work, which was rather unusual in these days, but she had a good knowledge of the factory, as she had always been a regular visitor there. The oldest son Bertel